Friday, April 15, 2005

Nepal's Maoists Order Schools to Stop Teaching Sanskrit

KATHMANDU, NEPAL, April 14, 2005: Nepal's elite private schools said
yesterday Maoist rebels have told them to shut down in 24 hours unless
they cut fees and meet other demands, but the schools have vowed to
defy the order. A group representing Nepal's private schools said the
rebels demanded the institutions close on Thursday unless they lower
admission and tuition costs, scrap singing of the national anthem, stop
teaching Sanskrit and remove photographs of King Gyanendra. The demands
are part of a drive by the Maoists to install their own "people's
education" system in schools and coincides with the start of the new
academic year in Nepal.

The Maoist warning is the latest challenge to the authority of King
Gyanendra, who seized power February 1, saying the move was necessary
to tackle the insurgency. "We've been receiving warnings from the
students' union by letter, e-mails and phone to close from Thursday for
failing to meet their demands,"
Umesh Shrestha, head of the Private and
Boarding School Organisations-Nepal, said. "But we're not going to
comply with the demand to shut."
The outlawed All Nepal National Free
Student Union-Revolutionary is the student wing of the Maoists who have
been fighting since 1996 to set up a communist republic. The conflict
has claimed more than 11,000 lives in the Hindu kingdom of 27 million.
The students' union also wants children of top government officials
excluded from private schools and forced to go state schools. There was
no immediate comment available from the students' union but last month
it said that it would "retaliate" against private schools if they
failed to heed its demands. It did not say how, but in the past, rebels
have bombed private schools after students have gone home as well as
wrecked classrooms and equipment. The rebel order to private schools to
close came as Nepal began returning to normal after an 11-day
nationwide road blockade called by the Maoists to protest the king's
power grab. About 1.5 million students study in Nepal's 8,500 private
and boarding schools. The 4.9 million students studying in Nepal's
25,000 public schools were not affected by the Maoists' demand to
close.

Govt announces formation of apex committee of CMs

Govt announces formation of apex committee of CMs

NEW DELHI, APR 15 (PTI)
Government today announced formation of an apex committee of Chief Ministers, headed by Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil, to deal with the Naxal problem by adopting a multi-pronged strategy which includes tough policing.

This was announced by Patil himself after a day-long meeting of Chief Ministers of all countries which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the morning.

The Committee will have Chief Minister from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Uttranchal, Orrisa and Uttar Pradesh as its members, the Home Minister said.

Emphasising on the need to have such a committee, Patil said already two committees headed by the Special Secretary and Home Secretary were functioning in this regard.

"The idea of the Apex committee was mooted during the Conference and it will work on the recommendations of the Home Secretary Committee," Patil said.

He said it was felt to have a multi-pronged strategy which includes socio-economic development, employment and also the tough policing against the Naxal groups.

The Home Minister also said that some of the states demanded vigorous policing in mega cities while Rajasthan Government asked for a special "Desert Police Force." He said the Coastal states had demanded for special measures for tackling infiltration.

'Naxals guilty of human rights violations' ,

TS Sudhir

Friday, April 15, 2005 (Hyderabad):


The Andhra Pradesh police say the Naxals are guilty of human rights violations.

In a complaint to the National Human Rights Commission, it claims a large number of minors have been recruited by the Naxal groups and are being ill-treated within the organisation.

Recruiting minors

In a recent surrender of Naxals before the Andhra police, the presence of a minor girl, who was among those who gave up arms, raised huge concerns.

"Many of us are beaten up in the party, so I came out. Some of the other members were surrendering, so I too came with them," said the girl.

The police claim that during the months of ceasefire between May and December last year, all Naxal groups went into a recruitment overdrive and that one in every five new recruits were impressionable minors, who are more easily attracted to party songs and literature.

"The more number of minors they recruit, it shows that they are not having the desired impact on mature minds. The minors they are taking are mostly in the cadre of girls," says Swaranjit Sen, DGP, Andhra Pradesh.

On the defensive

However, the Naxals claim that such minors would number only a few and that no one is forced to join the movement.

"They may not have read the books of Mao, but they understand that it is because of these people that we are not getting our food, and the jungles are shrinking. So these people have to go and we have to fight a war with them," says Gaddar, Naxal sympathiser.

It is generally the Naxals who accuse the police of staging fake encounters.

So the police have decided to publicise the presence of minors in the Naxal groups to get back at them.

In the past, they had written to Amnesty International and now they are knocking the door of the National Human Rights Commission, accusing the Naxals of human rights violations.

Andhra Cong leader favours resumption of Naxal talks

Do you see any basic morals from these congress leaders ? People should realise the mistake they did by removing Chandrababu Naidu , the only man who steadfastly refused to talk to terrorist Naxals . The height of ignomy of congress came fortth when Naxal emmissaries told to media few weeks back that , congress had promised them before before election for talks . That tells the whole story behind intimidation of Non Congress candidates during elections . FOOLISH INDIANS WAKE UP .. ENEMY IS RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU ... POSING AS NETAS .
---------------------------------------------

Press Trust of India

Vijayawada, April 15, 2005|17:57 IST

A senior Congress leader and a representative of Andhra Pradesh government in talks with Naxalities, T Purusohthoma Rao on Friday favoured resumption of the stalled peace talks in the "larger interests of the people".

Rao, who is also chairman of APCC Ethics Committee, told reporters in Vjiaywada that re-imposition of ban on the Maoist organisation would not solve the problems.

"It is the duty of the Government to see that talks are held again so that the issues can be discussed across the table," he said.

Rao, who hails from the extremist-affected Warangal district, appealed to both the sides to understand the ground realities and create a conducive atmosphere for resumption of the dialogue process and achieve lasting peace in the state.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Centre not for talks with NAXALITES

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2005 01:05:51 AM ]

Sign into earnIndiatimes points

NEW DELHI: The Centre has ruled out engaging in a direct dialogue with the Left extremists, leaving it to the states, "since most of the issues raised by the Naxals are local in nature". This comes after the recent setback to the dialogue process between the Naxalites and the Andhra Pradesh government.


Simultaneously, the Centre is working on a uniform strategy at the national level to fight naxalism, establishing institutionalised arrangements like unified commands at the civilian level.

These indications come a week after the Army Commanders, for the first time, discussed the growing spread of naxalism in 11 states.

The CMs' conference on internal security, to be addressed by Manmohan Singh on Friday, will consider forming a standing committee of CMs of some of the states worst-affected by naxalism.

Security apparatus being geared up: Indian Home Minister

From our correspondent

14 April 2005



NEW DELHI — The federal government has decided to provide financial assistance to the Maoist affected states in form of reimbursement of the security related expenditure under the Security Related Expenditure (SRE) scheme to counter the rise in Maoist activities.


The federal Home Ministry has also begun coordinating the steps taken by various states affected by the movement. While the coordination centre and the task force on Naxalism has been set up to monitor the situation, the government has decided to gear up the security apparatus for a nationwide operation. "Funds are being provided for modernisation of state police forces for upgrading the weaponry, equipment mobility, training etc. under the Police Modernisation Scheme to enable them to effectively meet the threat to internal security and law and order posed by the Naxalites," said Home Minister Shivraj Patil.

Also the federal government has advised the states to accord higher priority in their annual plans for the accelerated integrated development of the Maoist affected districts. The federal ministry has included 55 districts in all the nine states badly affected by Naxalism under the Backward Districts Initiative (BDI) component of the Rashtriya Sam Vikas Yojana.

Naxalites kill TDP, Congress workers in Andhra

Agence France-Presse

Hyderabad, April 10, 200523:46 IS

Naxalites in Andhra Pradesh shot dead two politicians including an official of the ruling Congress party, police said Sunday.

P Ramdev Reddy, a district committee secretary for Congress, was shot outside his home on Saturday in Mehboobnagar district, police said.

A worker of the opposition Telugu Desam Party was also shot dead on Saturday by suspected Naxalites in Cuddapah.

"We cannot understand why the Naxals are targeting our politicians when we have made it clear to them that we are still ready to hold talks with them," K Keshav Rao, state Congress president said.

Rao said Reddy, 42, was the most senior Congress politician to be killed by the rebels, who pulled out of a seven-month-long peace dialogue with the state government in January.

Maoist rebels have been fighting for three decades in the state for greater social and land rights for tenant farmers and indigenous tribal communities.

The fighting has left over 10,000 people dead.

Dharam to seek Central assistance to tackle naxalism

Bangalore UNI

CM said the Govt would explain the law and order situation in the State vis-a-vis the naxal problem and seek Central assistance. However, he did not specify the nature of assistance to be sought.


Karnataka Chief Minister N Dharam Singh today said the State will seek Central assistance to tackle the growing naxal problem.

Talking to newspersons here, Mr Singh, who would be in New Delhi tomorrow to attend the Chief Ministers' conference convened by Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, said the Government would explain the law and order situation in the State vis-a-vis the naxal problem and seek Central assistance. However, he did not specify the nature of assistance to be sought.

He said he would also seek an appointment with Dr Singh to take an all-party delegation with regard to Andhra Pradesh taking up projects in the Krishna basin in violation of the bachawat tribunal award and without the Centre's sanction.


Mr Singh said he would be meeting party President Sonia Gandhi and AICC General Secretary A K Antony at a later date in connection with the induction of two more Congress Ministers in his coalition Government and appointment of Chairmen to various Boards and Corporations.

To a question, he said a police officer had been suspended in connection with the security breach during Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's recent visit to the Indian Institute of Science here.

He said a departmental inquiry had been initiated and he was looking into the report, submitted by Corps of Detectives (CoD) DGP K R Sreenivasan, who had probed the incident. Further action would be taken later, he added.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Naxal threat: YSR relies on tape diplomacy

Naxal threat: YSR relies on tape diplomacy

T S Sudhir

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 (Hyderabad):


There could still be a last chance for peace dialogue with warring Naxal groups in Andhra Pradesh.

In an unusual initiative, Chief Minister Rajasekhara Reddy reportedly wants to talk his mind directly with the Naxal leadership.

And for this he plans to send across an audio-cassette into the forest through an emissary.

Naxal sympathiser Gadar will play emissary once again, this time on behalf of the Chief Minister.

"The CM told me that he will tape his message to the Naxal leadership and I said I will be happy to make sure the tape reaches them. The government wants talks but they want talks outside the media glare like the talks held in Mizoram and Nagaland with insurgents," said Gadar, Naxal Sympathiser.

Soft targets

Reddy's initiative comes a day after top Naxal leader Ramakrishna wrote to his cadre asking them not to kill soft targets like constables and village-level political workers and also spare RTC buses.

Andhra Pradesh has seen unprecedented violence in the last three months that led to Naxal representatives, including Gadar, withdrawing from the peace process just a week back.

"I still feel talks alone can remove the barrier, remove the veil and this kind of impediment,'' said Kesava Rao, President, PCC.

Big strike

Senior police officers are however, worried after the latest Naxal missive. They fear the Naxals may now attempt a big strike, which could be a prominent politician or a police officer.

Unusual situations require unusual solutions. But skeptics fear that with anti-Naxal commandos continuing with the combing operations, the CM's cassette diplomacy may end up being all sound with no light at the end of the tunnel