Saturday, December 13, 2008

Udupi ZP gets Rs 52.61 cr for 2008-09

Udupi Dec 14: The government has allocated Rs 5,261.55 lakh to Udupi district for the year 2008-09 for various development projects, out of which Rs 34.77 crore has been sanctioned, informed Zilla Panchayath President Raju Poojary.

Speaking to the reporters on Friday, he informed that 75% of the work has been taken up at a cost of Rs 26.09 crore. Drinking water problem in the district has been given top priority and Rs 11 crore has been earmarked for the same.

“Construction works have been designed according to the sketch planned for the 800 water linkage programmes. The Centre has allotted Rs 3.85 crore and State has provided Rs 2.81 crore for the purpose. A proposal has been sent to the government urging for additional funds of Rs 45 crore to provide drinking water facilities in Nitte, Hebri of Karkala taluk and Kalyanpur, Brahmavar, Barkur Mandarthi, Saibarakatte and Katpadi of Udupi taluk,” he added.

Mr Poojary informed that Rs 1,392.13 has been earmarked for the maintenance and upgradation of the rural roads. Construction works are implemented through package tenders. The Centre has allotted Rs 32.29 crore under Prime Minister’s Gram Sadak Yojana in the 8th phase of the project.

As many as 14,249 employment cards have been distributed and about 18,213 BPL families have registered for the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. As many as 76 Self Help Groups are assisted to take up self employment by utilising Rs 90.57 crore under the Swarna Jayanthi Gram Swarojgar Yojane for the year 2008-09.
A sum of Rs 782.28 lakh is used for the purpose of providing family toilets for about 63,477 houses under the programme of Sampoorna Swachatha Andolan.

Proposal to govt

A proposal demanding Rs 18 crore for the development of naxal prone areas in the district has been sent to the Government. A sum of Rs 26.92 lakh is sanctioned for the repair of school buildings and providing infrastructure for 35 high schools and 32 primary schools.
As many as 1,48,672 students are the beneficiaries for the mid-day meal scheme.
A sum of Rs 781.39 lakh is allotted for the programme. A sum of Rs 13 crores has been sanctioned under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, out of which Rs 6 crore is utilised for various educational programmes and the remaining sum will be utilised by the end of March, he added.

A sum of Rs 15.20 lakh is earmarked for the revamping of hospital buildings and the construction works for the Primary Health centres at Edu and Kandlur under RIDF programme will be completed by the end of the current fiscal year.

A sum of Rs 158.96 lakh is allotted to provide loans and helping funds for 763 beneficiaries under Ganga Kalyana yojane.
Mr Poojary also informed that as many as 30 Gram Panchayath staff are promoted to Grade-2 category employment under ZP jurisdiction and about 22 Grade-2 Secretary level staffs are promoted for Grade-1 level jobs.

Mr Poojary urged farmers to make use of ‘Athma’ programme set up under Centre and State partnership. About 90 per cent of the project expenses is borne by the Centre and remaining 10 per cent by the State.
The project is designed to provide farmers a helping hand assisting them in the field of horticulture, fishing, social forestry, agriculture, animal husbandry and so on, he added.

Zilla Panchayat CPO Vijay Kumar Shetty, Agriculture Department Joint Director Gadadh, Janardhan Thonse and others were present.

DHNS

No comments: