Tuesday, May 05, 2009

3 Naxals held, outfit was planning base in capital

5 May 2009, 0251 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: Just two days before the capital goes to polls, the special cell of Delhi Police arrested three members of a banned Naxal outfit,
including a zonal commander, in the Badarpur area of south Delhi. The accused reportedly confessed that thy were trying to set up a base in the city, sending the security agencies into a tizzy.

The three arrested are from banned Maoist Communist Centre (MCC) and were identified as Yogendra Singh Bhokta (26), Satish Kumar (21) and Sheetal Kumar (19) while other members of the outfit are on the run, said police.

"We have received inputs in February this year after which their movements were being tracked. Further intelligence revealed that they were hiding in the Badarpur area after which a raid was conducted and all three were arrested from a house there,'' said DCP (special cell) Alok Kumar.

Police said Yogendra was the zonal commander of the MCC and was wanted in connection with several cases in Jharkhand. "In 2007, he sustained bullet injuries on his thigh during a shootout with a rival Naxalite group. After this, Singh came to Delhi and assumed a fake identity of Shiv Kumar and was under treatment at a south Delhi hospital,'' added Kumar.

Satish and Sheetal are allegedly involved in several criminal activities, including attack on police parties. Police added that Yogendra was trying to re-organise his group in the capital. All three have been remanded in police custody for four days.

Yogendra, the police added, is a school dropout and joined the Naxal outfit in 1999. In 2001, he became the area commander of Tandwa and Balumath in Jharkahnd. Later, he started extorting money in Palamu Chhatarpur area. In February 2004, Yogendra allegedly killed a police informer, Pawan Singh, in Simaria in Jharkhand. He had been involved in several shootouts with police and a rival Naxal organization.

Police added that acting on the directions of other Naxal leaders, Yogendra was first taken to Danapur near Patna where he remained under treatment for six months. Later, he moved to Delhi in November 2007 and was under treatment. They first stayed near Yusuf Sarai in south Delhi and then shifted to Badarpur and Faridabad, said the police.

Jharkhand police said that Sheetal's father was arrested twice for allegedly providing help to the banned outfit. Two others, identified as Ram Kumar and Shashi, who were helping the outfit financially are yet to be nabbed.

No comments: