Friday, June 26, 2009

Centre ready to support Odisha to fight Maoists

Kalinga Times Correspondent

Bhubaneswar, June 26: Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Friday said the Central government was ready to extend all possible support to Odisha government to contain the Maoist menace.

Talking to media presspersons here after his meeting with Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, Chidambaram said the state government has prepared an action plan to tackle the menace and the Centre would give its suggestions on it after analysing the same.

The Home Minister said tackling Left wing extremism was primarily the responsibility of the state government. He, however, assured that the Centre would provide necessary support to put an end to the problem.

If the state government deploys one company of police personnel on anti-naxal duty, the Centre would also send one company of para-military force for the purpose, he said.

Earlier in the day, Chidambaram visited some relief camps in Kandhamal district and advised the riot victims who had been living there since August last year to return to their villages.

Stating that a total of 4620 families had been affected by the communal violence, Chidambaram hoped that the state government would not leave any stone unturned to pay them compensation and instill confidence in them to return to their homes.

Chidambaram returned to New Delhi after the press conference ending his two-day tour of the state. On Thursday he had visited Koraput district and reviewed the law and order situation in the region.

No comments: