Thursday, June 04, 2009

Maoists murder cop-friendly tribal youth

2 Jun 2009, 2254 hrs IST, TNN

KORAPUT: In what appears to be a well-calibrated offensive launched by Maoists against suspected police informers, the Red rebels murdered a
25-year-old tribal youth in Koraput district on Monday night. Villagers found the body of Siba Harka at Kandibalsa village under Narayanpatna police limits on Tuesday morning.

Harka was selected as a special police officer (SPO) but had not joined duty. He was working in a local voluntary organization. Harka of Kandibalsa village had left for Narayanpatna on Monday morning but he never returned. The rebels might have kidnapped Harka and hacked him on suspicion of helping police.

In a letter found near the body, the Maoists had reportedly stated that they killed Harka as he was passing information against the rebels to police.

Brushing aside Maoists charges SP (Koraput) Deepak Kumar said, "Every time the Maoists kill a civilian they charge him to be police informer. Harka was not our informer. We have never ever received any information from him. He was selected as a SPO but had not joined duty may be due to Maoist fear as the rebels in the area were against tribals joining as SPOs."
"We are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the killing of Harka," the SP said.

This is the third murder of a "police informer" by Red rebels in less than 10 days in Koraput and Malkangiri districts. On May 25, Maoists had hacked a contractor, Kunjo Mandingi of Pachingi village, under Narayanpatna police limits, on suspicion of being a police associate. They followed it up with the slaying of Badrinarayan Patro, a contractor of Malkangiri district, on May 29. Patro and his brother had constructed a few buildings for the police department.

Harks'a killing came a day after the district administration called an all-party meeting to restore peace in Narayanpatna that had witnessed tribal unrest earlier in the first half of May.

The Chasi Muliya Adivasi Sangh (CMAS), which is reportedly a Maoist-backed organization, had unleashed terror in the area by attacking people and damaging hundreds of houses in several villages across the district.

A 40 year-old man was beaten to death and many others injured by the CMAS members during their mayhem which continued for several days.

No comments: