Monday, June 15, 2009

Naxalite picked up in Dharwad

14 Jun 2009, 2316 hrs IST, TNN

DHARWAD: In a swift operation on Saturday evening, the Hubli-Dharwad police picked up a woman suspected to have links with Naxalites.

Vijaya Nayak, 26, daughter of Suresh Nayak of Belalakatte, 9 km from Shimoga, was nabbed by a team of police near Old Hubli bridge when she was returning to her village in a bus.

Sources said Vijaya was a friend of Naxalite Manohar, who was killed in an encounter in November last year. After Manohar's death, she had come out of the Naxal camp due to failing health. She had reportedly come to Hubli from Shiralakoppa via Gadag to get medical aid. She got herself examined at KIMS (Hubli) on Saturday and was on her way back when the police nabbed her.

Life of struggle

According to highly placed sources, Vijaya has been into Naxal activities for the past three years. She has three sisters and she lost her father when she was 14. The family had five acres of land, of which two acres were acquired by the government for `nallah' construction.

Left with three acres, the family struggled to make ends meet. Meanwhile, the government started evacuating the farmers from the forest land, triggering strong protests from the villagers. Vijaya too joined the struggle. Manohar, who was the editor of a local tabloid, took lead in the agitation. Vijaya developed friendship with Manohar and decided to marry. However, Manohar went missing since a year and he had asked her to join him in the forests. They reportedly met at Belthangadi in Dakshina Kannada district after which both went into the forests. She was with him for 4-5 months during which time she underwent arms training.

Due to ill-health, she had to leave the camp and return to Shimoga. Since she was being chased by the police she could not get treatment at Shimoga. This prompted her to go to KIMS for treatment. However, her run came to an end when the police, acting on a tip-off, intercepted the bus in which she was travelling near Old Hubli and took her into custody.

During interrogation, she has reportedly told that she was planning to surrender to the police in the next couple of days. After preliminary interrogation, Vijaya was handed over to Shimoga police for further action, sources said.

No comments: