Saturday, July 04, 2009

Former Maoist bride thrown out by in-laws

3 Jul 2009, 2301 hrs IST, Mihir Ray, TNN



ROURKELA: Four years ago, Kandri Lohar made headlines across the state after she quit the Maoist camp and married a local youth. The ceremony was
solemnized in the presence of senior police officials and bureaucrats. She is in news again, but this time for not so happy reasons.

Mother of a two-and-a-half-year-old son, Kandri has been thrown out from her in-laws' house and is struggling to earn a living. Desperate, Kandri filed a complaint with the Rourkela police. They then arrested her husband Shankar Barua, mother-in-law Sita Barua and sister-in-law Sangita Barua under Section 498(A), 506 and 34 of the IPC for allegedly torturing her.

Since Kandri was brave enough to quit the red brigade and begin life afresh, her husband was promised a job and the couple a house under the Indira Awas Yojana and Rs 50,000 in cash. None of this materialized and people soon forgot her story.

"When I left the rebel gang and got married four years ago, I had lot of hope for my future. For a moment I thought the world is at my feet. Government officials assured me all support. But soon after the marriage, authorities forgot me. I kept reminding them about their promise but nothing was done," Kandri said.

"With time I became a victim of domestic violence in my family. My in-laws did not have much to fall back on and were expecting to reap the benefits from my compensation. They also demanded a dowry. Things became worse after the birth of my son. My husband and mother-in-law threw me out of their house and I was forced to come back to live with my parents," she added.

Kandri then met Rourkela SP Diptesh Pattnaik and narrated her plight. "He not only gave me a patient hearing but also assured me of all support. He has already initiated action against my in-laws and I am confident justice will be done," Kandri added.

No comments: