Monday, July 20, 2009

Naveen writes to PC; asks for retention of 5 CRPF companies

Updated on Sunday, July 19, 2009, 20:21 IST

Bhubaneswar: Two-days after Maoist attack on a police outpost in Kandhamal, Orissa government on Sunday demanded that the remaining five CRPF companies (about 500 jawans) be retained in the naxal-infested and riot-ravaged district at least till September 30.

In a letter to Union Home minister P Chidambaram, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said the Centre has recently included the maoist-affected Kandhamal district in the scheme of Security Related Expenses (SRE) meant for naxal-hit areas.

Besides being affected by Maoists, Kandhamal witnessed serious communal violence last year. Taking all these into account, the chief minister urged the Centre to allow the remaining five CRPF companies to stay in Kandhamal at least till September 30.

Stating that Kandhamal also witnessed violence by Maoists in recent past, Patnaik said in his letter that the ultras had attacked a forest beat house and triggered a landmine blast in Daringibadi area. Attack on a police outpost at Katingia in Bamunigaon was the latest, he said.

Bureau Report

No comments: