Friday, December 11, 2009

Man beheaded in UP, police allege Naxal link

Express News Service Posted online: Saturday , Dec 12, 2009 at 0459 hrs

Lucknow : In the first incident of its kind in Naxal-infested Sonbhadra district, a man was beheaded on Thursday. While the police say he was a Naxal and the murder was the fallout of a fight over extortion money, the Naxals alleged he was “close to the police.”

The body and head of Shiv Prakash Kushwaha (24), a resident of Rampur village, were found two kilometres apart in the area of Kon police circle.

The police alleged Kushwaha was a Naxal and a follower of People’s War Group (PWG) zonal commander Munna Vishkarma, who carries a reward of Rs 50,000 on his head. They say Kushwaha was involved in collecting extortion money from contractors and arranging safe passage for Naxalites. However, there is no case pending against Kushwaha, nor has he ever been arrested.

“We did not arrest Kushwaha because there was no direct evidence against him,” said Sonbhadra SP Preetinder Singh. However, the Songanga Vindhyachal Committee of the People’s War Group claimed that Kushwaha was not their member. “I have come to know that he was close to the police and was carrying an axe with him. I do not know who killed him and we are still collecting details about it,” said Songanga Vindhyachal Committee (SVC) secretary Jamuna.

The police claim that Kushwaha had collected extortion money from a mining contractor in Chopan area on behalf of the SVC, but kept it with himself and the dispute that followed led to the killing.

The story which is circulating in the area is that the Naxals, who suspected that Kushwana was a police informer, kidnapped him from the village on Tuesday. The next evening, some men came to the village and told the people to pick up his body and inform the police.

On Thursday morning, locals informed the police about the body lying in “Hariya Jungle” area. Initially, the police suspected it to be a trap laid by Naxals, but after making security arrangements, a team was sent to the spot which recovered the body.


Ghandy wants to retract confession

NEW DELHI: Accusing Delhi Police’s Special Cell of forcibly extracting a confession from him, Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy on Friday requested a Delhi Court to permit him to withdraw the damning document.

Ghandy pleaded with Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja’s court to allow him to retract from the “forcible confession” so that it was not used as evidence against him during trial. He alleged that he was not aware of the contents of the confession as he was “forced to sign on blank sheets”. The court sent Ghandy in judicial custody till December 25 and said it would later decide whether to grant his plea. Ghandy, 63, was brought to Delhi from Andhra Pradesh, where he was in custody in connection with a case against him in Karimnagar district in 2008. ENS

No comments: