Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Operation will start soon: Naveen

Express News Service
First Published : 10 Feb 2010 08:17:44 AM IST
Last Updated : 10 Feb 2010 10:32:04 AM IST

BHUBANESWAR: Amid renewed offer of talks with the Maoists, the Centre on Tuesday agreed to provide three more battalions of paramilitary forces to be deployed in northern and western Orissa districts. The Centre had earlier agreed to provide five battalions to be deployed in southern districts.

Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik revealed this to mediapersons after returning from the meeting of four Naxal-affected at Kolkata.
Naveen said the proposed joint operation will be launched against the Naxalites in Orissa. All the four States __ Orissa, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal __ agreed for the joint operation, he said.
Sources, however, maintained that the States were not unanimous on the method of the joint operations.
This is the second meeting attended by Naveen during the last fortnight to discuss strategy of the joint operation.
He had attended another meeting at Raipur in Chhattisgarh last month.
Naveen reiterated his Government’s stand that talks are possible if the Maoists give up arms. At the meeting on internal security convened by the Prime Minister, the chief ministers of the affected States had stated that there cannot be talks unless the Maoists lay down arms. That stand has not changed, he said

No comments: