Monday, April 19, 2010

Bengal awaits MHA funds for 3 districts

Express News Service Posted online: Monday , Apr 19, 2010 at 0238 hrs

Kolkata : The West Bengal government has not yet received any funds from the Centre under the special assistance scheme of the Union Home Ministry for the development of Maoist-affected areas. A top state government official revealed this, adding that the state was brought under the Central scheme barely two months back
.
“It was suggested in a Home Ministry meeting, in which the then IG, Western range, Kuldip Singh was present, that West Bengal should be brought under the scheme since other states have already received funds under it. But no money has been sanctioned so far. We have submitted proposals worth a few hundred crores for development of the Left Wing Extremism-hit districts of Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore. We have been told they are now being considered by the Centre,” the official said.

The demands, along with the prevailing law and order situation in the Naxal-hit areas, were discussed last week during a video conference of top officials from Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Maharashtra, Orissa, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand. The conference was presided over by Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrashekhar. West Bengal Chief Secretary Ashok Mohan Chakrabarti, Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen and DGP Bhupinder Singh were among those present.

Chakrabarti said the state had demanded money for infrastructure development, drinking water, building hospitals, schools, employment generation schemes among others.

No comments: