Sunday, April 11, 2010

Injured CRPF officer killed Maoists before he was hacked

Amitabh Sinha Posted online: Monday , Apr 12, 2010 at 0845 hrs

Dantewada (Chhattisgarh) : An injured Satyavan Singh Yadav — the deputy commandant leading the CRPF team that was ambushed by Maoists in Dantewada last week — managed to kill some of the attackers before he was hacked to death, sources in the Chhattisgarh police said on Sunday.

Quoting the post-mortem reports of the 76 policemen killed in the attack and accounts of some of the survivors, the sources said Yadav opened a burst of fire on a group of Naxalites who came to loot the weapons and ammunition. This group was firing at the injured security personnel from close range when Yadav shot back with his AK-47 and killed some of them. The enraged Maoists then reportedly attacked Yadav with sharp weapons, like an axe, and killed him.

Eight Naxalites are reported to have been killed in the attack, and sources said most of them were gunned down by Yadav.

“The post-mortem report has indicated deep injuries with sharp weapons like an axe. It seems he was involved in a close physical combat with the Naxalites,”
said a police official.

He said the nature of injuries on the bodies of the other dead policemen indicate that some of the others also got into a close physical fight with the Naxalites.

“Some of them were shot from close range. It is possible that some of the injured policemen tried to engage the Naxalites physically once they came to loot the weapons and ammunition,” said the official.

Sources said about 25 policemen had died only of bullet injuries. The rest had sustained multiple wounds, including bullet and fire injuries.

Yadav, who had done a stint with the Special Protection Group (SPG) that guards the prime ministers and their families, was known to be a very tough policeman. One of his former colleagues from the SPG, who is from a different central police organisation, described him as one of the toughest guys in the force.

“He was very very good, one of the best amongst us. The Naxalites could not have overpowered him physically. His death has come as a big shock,” he said, requesting anonymity.

Sources said because of the paucity of time and the large number of bodies involved, a detailed post-mortem report has not been possible.

“The doctors have been able to examine only the open and major wounds. There was no time to go into a detailed examination of every structure of the body, because of which only limited conclusions can be drawn about the possible events on that day,”
said a source. A detailed analysis of the post-mortem report was still being conducted.

Meanwhile, former BSF DG E N Rammohan, who has been asked by the Home Ministry to conduct an inquiry into the incident, is arriving in Raipur tomorrow to begin the probe. Rammohan has been asked to submit his report within 15 days.

1 comment:

parveen said...

HE WAS BRAVE, HE FOUGHT BRAVELY,HIS BRAVERY MUST BE RECOGNIZED.HE FOUGHT TILL HIS LAST BREATH LIKE A WARRIOR. THE AUTHORITIES MUST WAKE UP, ATLEAST THIS MUCH OF SACRIFICES SHOULD BE AN EYE OPENER FOR THEM. THIS IS THE HIGH TIME WHEN THE TROOPS INVOLVED IN SUCH RISKY OPERATIONS SHOULD BE GIVEN BETTER FACILITIES LIKE WEAPONS, EQUIPMENTS, LOGISTICS, ANTI MINE VEHICLES AND NOTHING CAN MOTIVATE A HUMAN BEING BETTER THAN PAY PERKS.WE SHOULD NOR WAIT FOR ANOTHER MASSACRE TO HAPPEN.
SATYABHAN SIR, WE SALUTE YOU AND YOUR BRAVE HEARTS WHO FOUGHT WITH THE HEAVILY NUMBERED AND WELL EQUIPPED MAOISTS FOR OVER THREE HOURS BEFORE ATTAINING MARTYRDOM.