Monday, December 05, 2005

HC orders to file report on jail break incident in Jehanabad

Patna | December 05, 2005 7:38:34 PM IST


Patna High Court today directed the central and state governments to file separate reports on the Jehanabad jail break episode and the steps taken for modernisation of police forces following the incident.
Hearing the matter, a division bench of the court comprising Chief Justice J N Bhatt and Justice R N Prasad asked both the governments to submit the reports before January 9. The court directed the government to mention the action plan drawn to prevent recurrence of such incidents in future.

Dissatisfied with the report filed today by Advocate General P K Shahi on the incident, the bench ordered both state as well as the central government to file a detailed report stating reasons for the failure of the police administration.

In its report, the Bihar government admitted that the state administration was aware of the plans for a Naxal attack somewhere in Jehanabad, but there was no specific information about the attack on the jail.

The government had clues about the possible attack by extremists on the police lines and railway station in Jehanabad and steps were taken accordingly.

When asked about the central government's assistance to combat the rising Naxalite activities, the senior standing counsel for the Centre Dr Ravi Ranjan said a national action plan of Rs 1,665 crore had been prepared to modernise the police force to face such challenges.

He said every district of Bihar would get at least Rs two crore in the proposed plan to check Naxal activities.

UNI XC RS KK LR KN1821

No comments: