Thursday, December 08, 2005

Naxalism no longer a threat to internal security: DGP , Karnataka

Thursday December 8 2005 10:46 IST
HUBLI: Naxal movement in the State is losing its support base in tribal areas as well as in other parts of the State, said B S Siyal, Director General of Police.

Speaking to reporters here on Wednesday, he said that naxalism in the State was no longer a threat to the internal security, as the State government was engaged in implementing several developmental programmes in naxal-infested areas and anti-naxal operations were being taken up on a war-footing by the police department.

He disclosed that 13 districts in the State have been identified as naxal-infested districts and it was believed that as many as 50 to 60 trained cadres were active in the movement.

The State had deployed 14 battalions of Karnataka State Reserve Police along with anti-naxal force comprising 543 police personnel trained in Andhra Pradesh for forest combing operations in the State, he added.

He expressed displeasure over a section of media for portraying naxals as ‘mass heroes’ and ‘branding’ the police villains. He expressed confidence over conducting the ensuing Panchayat polls free from violence and irregularities.

He said that a proposal had been sent to the Centre by the State government to set up ‘Mega City Police Force’ in Hubli-Dharwad along with Bangalore for curbing anti-social activities.

No comments: